Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Do you know that this is the fight of your life?

I have watched the scale go down this week. Then up. Conversely, I have watched my emotions go up, then down. More than that, I am slowly seeing the reality of the fight that I am in.

And today I am wondering if maybe some of us don't realize the fight that we're in?

When I started all this, it was about losing weight, but I had a feeling that it was about a lot more than that. So just like peeling back an onion, I didn't realize all the layers, all the depth, and all the tears that would come.

Today I feel like everyone around me is feeling this way. That this is MUCH bigger than we all thought it was. I actually just got done working out with my friend Lauren. Neither of us wanted to work out. Both of us were yawning on the treadmills. 2 pm workouts are not smart, but today it was our only option. We were bored. We powered through. And then we talked about the situations we are both in. We lost weight. We gained some back. We overate. We are trying to get back on track. We struggle, we struggle, we struggle.

For what?

Do you know how I know that this is the fight of my life? Because food has had control of me for WAY too long. My weight has held me back from LIFE. And if weight isn't your issue, maybe something else is. Maybe something else is trying to fill the place in your heart that only God can fill. What is it? The way you can figure it out is to ask yourself one important question: "What do you run to when you need comfort?"

All week, I have had friends say things to me like this:
  • I wish this was over.
  • I don't feel good about myself, so I don't want to go.
  • I had a family crisis, and I immediately ran to food.
  • I found myself eating ice cream in bed at 10 pm last night, because of stress.
  • I have been eating crap all week, and I feel like crap.
This is the fight of your LIFE. Make no mistake. And don't play it off like it's not a big deal. Don't go out to girls night and eat what they eat because you are "celebrating." Don't buy ice cream at the grocery store and bring it home because it's "not a big deal." Don't skip your workouts this week because you just "need a break."

You know what we need a break from? Living in bodies that we feel uncomfortable in. Beating ourselves up. Letting our weight consume our emotions. Working SO HARD to lose weight, only to let ourselves gain it all back and feel even worse.

THIS, my friends, is what we need a break from. So whatever your next step is, watch where you put your feet. And make sure they aren't in the frozen foods section.

-Liz

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Liz - this was a great reminder to keep focus..... and know it is the next chapter in life and not a passing attitude. Last week I had the thought that I have married exercise..... it is till death do us part - we will have our fights and not want to be near each other and times when we can't get enough of each other... but we are one! With that said - I am up and ready to do something about not doing a workout today. Icey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this realization recently as well. I was thinking gosh I can't wait till I can stop being so careful with what I eat and not exercise so much. then I got super depressed when I realized that i'm in going to be engaged in this battle for the rest of my life. Changing my lifestyle has not taken away my love for food but changed the way I look at food. So I'm being a good girl this week and following my diet hopefully the scale will be nice to me on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on ladies...we got this! Stay in the fight!

    ReplyDelete