Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Finding light in the darkness

I have been battling a back injury for the majority of the summer. Admittedly, when I can't work out to the level I am used to, everything else in my life seems to fall apart.

It's only been about a week now that I am able to walk comfortably, stand around comfortably, and not have to take 6 Advil a day and ice my back whenever I can. What a frustrating process. But I also realized how I put my life on hold at the first sign of adversity.

But what if God is trying to teach me the most important lessons in the MIDST of adversity?

The other day I went on a walk in my neighborhood. A walk instead of a run. Walking for exercise feels so lame after I have been able to run 10 miles. But on this walk, God showed me two things. A tunnel and an open field.

The tunnel for me, represented fear of the unknown. Not knowing where to place my steps. Being blinded by the light on the other side and temporarily afraid of moving forward. It's a lonely place. Confining and isolating and scary. But God showed me that I have to do two things in that tunnel - trust Him with my steps, and remember that the light floods the darkness and I just have to be patient while my eyes adjust.

How many times do I go through a tunnel as fast as I can because I am afraid? How many times do I look only at what's ahead and miss what God is trying to show me in my very next steps?

In my neighborhood, this tunnel leads directly into a wide open field. I think God was trying to show me that life is wide open. My life is wide open, and I can't limit myself to only focusing and obsessing on the scale or my weight or my calorie intake.

So in this slow exercise season, I have been able to slow my life down and try new things. Would I go on long walks and listen to Steven Furtick sermons on my iPod if I was able to run? Probably not. Would I swim laps for a mile and find peace in the sound of the water instead of listening to Guns n Roses on my iPod while I'm on the spin bike? Nope. Is it possible that God is using this time to show me that there is more to me than just high octane cardio? Yup.

There is a lot more to you than your weight. Or your career. Or your boyfriend. Or your eating disorder. Or your kids. Or your bad habit. Or your church life. Or your team. Or your new school. Or your reputation. We were created for wide, open fields. Don't forget that.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment