Tuesday, July 31, 2018

face to face

The left picture is from April, the right picture is from
last Sunday. What a difference in four months!
I hung out with a friend last Saturday and when he looked at me he said "Oh my God, your face!" And I said, "I know, I got too crispy in the sun yesterday." And he said... "No, your face looks totally different since I saw you last weekend."

Really?

You know when you are in something so long, you don't see change? Or when you become so familiar with something, you can't see progress? Yup, that's me. That first picture is from April (not pictured: Governor Roy Cooper) and that second picture is from Sunday at Raleigh Supercon (not pictured: Hannah Wait, the Fonz, the Incredible Hulk, the Karate Kid, Joey Fatone, and Opie from SAMCRO).

I am learning the value of trusting your friends. Sometimes we lose perspective because we lose the ability to reach out, be vulnerable, and trust what comes next from the mouths of those that love us most.

Everyone keeps saying this blog is brave. I don't feel very brave, but I am accepting that. I just feel like I am supposed to keep writing about this, because it's not about losing weight. It's about gaining yourself back. And that message is universal, right?

I am down 45 pounds since April, and that's 27 pounds since surgery on July 11th. I have a long way to go, but I am so motivated, and I went into this because I knew I couldn't lose the weight and keep it off on my own. I had to check my pride at the doctor's office and admit I needed help. I am thankful to friends that have rallied around me and came without being called.

Great things happen on the other side of pride. I hope I get to rally around every one of you sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment