Sunday, March 1, 2015

A healthy heart.

I've been reading through Henry Cloud books lately. He is a well known speaker, author, psychologist, general bad ass christian guy that keeps things very real. In this world, that's rare. In christian circles, it seems to be even more rare.

Is it ok for christians to admit to struggle? Yes. Do we practice that? No.

I am about halfway through his book "Safe People" and it's fascinating. He has this way of breaking down relationships that will make you nod your head in relief and be reminded that you are not crazy.  I wanted to share this. Read this list slowly, his list of the "Interpersonal Traits of Unsafe People" as follows:

  1. Unsafe people avoid closeness instead of connecting.
  2. Unsafe people are only concerned about "I" instead of "we."
  3. Unsafe people resist freedom instead of encouraging it.
  4. Unsafe people flatter us instead of confronting us.
  5. Unsafe people condemn us instead of forgiving us.
  6. Unsafe people stay in parent/child roles instead of relating as equals.
  7. Unsafe people are unstable over time instead of remaining consistent.
  8. Unsafe people are a negative influence on us instead of a positive one.
  9. Unsafe people gossip instead of keeping secrets.
While this is not an inclusive list, I think he pretty much sums up the traits that can turn any relationship bad quickly. How many times have you been an unsafe person to someone else? I was SHOCKED to take a personal assessment of how many times I have done any of the above things to someone else. Now that doesn't make us unsafe people, it just means we are prone to treating each other in unsafe ways.

Healthy eating ultimately leads me to a healthy heart. And a healthy heart wants to be healthy in every way. This is a big part of that. It's not enough to work on the outside when the inside needs attention. I am taking stock of the food I eat. The work outs I do. But now, how about the thoughts I have? The way I treat others? The things I share? The things I keep private?

Still waiting for My Fitness Pal to develop an app to include my mind intake and my emotional intake. A healthy heart is a lot more than proper calorie intake.

-Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment