Thursday, September 8, 2011

Double Rainbow

So I was on a group kayaking jaunt for our work retreat yesterday. It was super quiet and calm on the sound, and we were paddling through grassy, marsh areas. Beautiful weather. Blue skies.

My co-worker was on a boat to my left and said "When I look at this, I can't believe that people don't think there is someone behind the design of the world, that we are just an accident and the world just happened to come together like this."

My audible response was "I think it's easier for people to just believe it's 'Mother Nature.'"

So then, my internal monologue kicked in. If we explain the beauty of the world by saying it's Mother Nature or pure environmental beauty, then we don't have to really respond. We can just admire the beauty from afar, when we want, and then we can walk away, when we want. We can forget. We can remain unchanged. We can do whatever we want.

But if we explain the beauty of the world by saying that there is a Creator that made this for ME to enjoy, well then, I have to respond. Think of it as the most elaborate, expensive, impossible gift that anyone has ever given you. Impossible to repay, impossible to forget, impossible to ignore. A gift that changes everything. A gift that lasts your whole life and then some. A gift that you didn't deserve, but it's yours to take.

But you have to take it.

See, the thing with God is, we can't remain unchanged. Otherwise we never accepted the gift at all. Do you see God in your life? Do you see him in people? Do you notice him trying to get your attention in nature? In a sunset or a rainstorm? If you look for him, you'll see him. And if you look for him tomorrow, you'll find him a thousand different ways.

The double rainbow guy was right. Oh my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment