Friday, November 25, 2011

Walking Alone in America

I am thinking about writing a book on loneliness. Specifically, loneliness in America.

Henri Nouwen says that "while the rest of the world lives off of $2 a day, the greatest American poverty is loneliness."

It's my biggest struggle. And it's a struggle that doesn't go away. I can't run from it, I can't hide from it, I can only walk towards it and through it, praying that this time won't be as bad as the last.

Why is this America's greatest poverty? I'm not sure that we have learned the value of community yet. I am not a world traveler, I have only traveled to one country outside of the U.S. and that's Jamaica. But what I learned there, I am sure, can translate to the rest of the world. Those that are poor seek wealth in their community. In relationships. We are so rich in resources here in America that we don't have to rely on anyone. But isn't that the lie that we all believe?

I don't know about you, but I see my community seemingly unable to love each other in the way that Jesus calls us to. Do you see people carrying each others burdens? Bearing with one another in brotherly love? Giving away our money? Sharing our resources? Sharing our homes? Having church that lasts as long as it takes, and maybe past the sixty minutes that people are comfortable with?

Here is the hope I found. And I read it from, you guessed it, Henri Nouwen. "Our moments of deep despair and loneliness are actually a call towards solitude with God." Our world is loud, entertaining, comfortable, excessive, and unbelievably lonely. In your moments of loneliness, God is right there with you. That feeling in your gut of despair and longing for comfort is your heart crying out for your Dad, your Creator, your Lord. You will want to ignore that fact, because when you believe it, your whole heart will change. Your world will be rocked. And your loneliness will lose power.

Walk towards God in your loneliness, and stay with Him especially when it's uncomfortable. The longer you stay, the more the despair will fade and make room for hope. And hope does not disappoint.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment