Saturday, June 9, 2012

One mile turns into ten

This was on my door this morning.
Last night I was hanging out with my friends and I had an idea. Before I could think it through, I said it out loud.

"I think I'm going to run 10 miles tomorrow."

I heard myself saying this and I thought "who am I?"

I can't explain this enough: I NEVER thought I would be this person. Actually, I never thought that I COULD be this person. Someone that can run ten miles. Someone that can have self-discipline like this. Someone that other people could ask about how to lose weight and be an encouragement to them.

I was the big girl. I was the secretive eater. I was the lazy friend. I was the one that would make other people feel better about how much they ate because I always ate more.

Now, I am embracing the fact that I am someone people can be encouraged by, because I have been able to do something I never thought possible. God has rescued and redeemed me, saved and sustained me, healed and helped me.

So today I hit the Tobacco Trail with my friend Cameron to hold me accountable. I told the Facebook world that I was going to do it so I had to report back. Five miles in I got the mother of all blisters on the inside of my arch. Seven miles in I had rocks in my shoes. Eight miles in I hit the most annoying steady incline that lasted forever. Nine miles in, I shook my head the rest of the way because I couldn't believe what my Nike GPS was telling me.

May the force be with you.
Last year at this time I was marveling at the fact that I could run a mile without stopping. Can I remind you that you are new? That you can conquer that thing that has been a struggle for you your whole life? That you will find people coming around you to support you through your darkest hours?

But here's what's awesome. Your smallest steps will be celebrated by your biggest fans. And if you fail, you can always try again tomorrow. So celebrate your victories, but also celebrate your shortcomings. And keep trying. Before you know it, one mile will turn into ten.

-Liz

2 comments:

  1. Liz - I am so proud of you! It has been YEARS since I have even thought 10 miles would be even possible for myself - I think Coach Stauffer even stopped us at 6 or 7 MAX! I've been reading your blogs and tied my running shoes back on a little while ago an am proud to get through 2 or 3 miles now. Today I ran 2 and thought "Liz is running 10 today - WOW!" Thank you for your inspirational words - they keep me motivated and who knows - maybe in another year I'll be able to say that I ran 10 too! Keep up the good work! You are a big inspiration to me, and from what I read, a lot of other people too! Thanks Liz, take care - Robyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROBYN! This is amazing...I am so proud of you, and to think that I was able to inspire you to put running shoes on AT ALL....dang. Keep it up and keep me POSTED!

    ReplyDelete