Thursday, April 18, 2013

The scale isn't changing, but my heart is.

I have been a bad, bad blogger.

Sorry about that.

Here we are in Peru! Oh wait, you might want a better
shot of the scenery...
The past few weeks have been wild. I was blessed to take 20+ high schoolers to Peru for a week for work. Yes, for work. Wow.

I made a good decision a few weeks ago to not weigh myself in so obsessively. Of course, the downside of this decision is that cheating seems much more attractive because I am NOT weighing myself in so frequently. But right now, the benefits of not looking at the scale so much are outweighing (no pun intended) the cons, so I will stick with this plan for the next few weeks and see how things are progressing.

I wanted to quickly write a moment down so I don't forget it, and so you can have hope. Have I mentioned lately that this weight loss thing...this was never someone I thought I could be. I truly thought "God made me this size, and this is just how it has to be." I am still processing through that thought process and when I wrap my head around it, I'll let you know.

Ok, that's better.
So, last Saturday morning I was at the Y working out. I was running, and I noticed a familiar woman made eye contact with me, so I smiled at her. I don't know this woman, but I see her often, so I knew her face. I finished my workout as she was finishing hers. She said something to me, but I had my headphones in (Pearl Jam, thank you very much) so I took them out and she said to me:

"I tell my friends about you when I'm not at the Y. You are so inspiring."

I said thank you, and was taken aback because mentally, I still don't think she could be talking about me. She said "You must have so much confidence now."

Hmm.

Yes, I do. But did I before? And if not, why not?

We are living in a weight obsessed world. This I know, for sure. If I'm thin, I must be happy. If I'm overweight, I must be sad.

I am going to bed tonight thinking about this. But I wanted to share that story with you. That bittersweet moment of success. Of course that sweet lady meant well. But what lies underneath, is what I am struggling with.

-Liz

1 comment:

  1. I feel the struggle.... I am almost done reading Made to Crave and my world has been rattled! Ice

    ReplyDelete