Thursday, August 18, 2011

A perfect prayer

From Henri Nouwen's "The Road to Daybreak" :

"O Lord, help me not to be distracted by power and wealth; help me not to be impressed by knowing the stars and heroes of this world. Open my eyes to the suffering of your people, whoever they are, and give me the word that can bring healing and consolation. Amen."

Oh, the things I care about. And look at. And read about. If I gave half of that energy and curiousity to my relationship with Jesus, how much closer would I be to knowing Him, and understanding what true love is?

Wealth and power and fame and fortune and being impressive and relevant and awesome and attractive and funny and funnier and the funniest and an expert and well-read and successful and on and on and on...

Are you as exhausted as I am?
-Liz

"O Lord, help me not to be distracted by power and wealth; help me not to be impressed by knowing the stars and heroes of this world. Open my eyes to the suffering of your people, whoever they are, and give me the word that can bring healing and consolation. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment