Friday, August 19, 2011

Quit being a survivor.

An excerpt from "The Road to Daybreak" by Henri Nouwen:

To celebrate life together, to be together in community, to simply enjoy the beauty of creation, the love of people and the goodness of God - those seem faraway ideals. There seems to be a mountain of obstacles preventing people from being where their hearts want to be. It is so painful to watch and experience. The astonishing things is that the battle for survival has become so "normal" that few people really believe that it can be different. I now understand better why my friends who came to Trosly were so deeply touched. A world they didn't know existed had opened up for them.

Are we in a battle for survival? Are we living life from moment to moment, just hoping to get by and get out alive? Where do you want to be? Deep in your heart, where do you want to be? Why aren't you there?

I make a lot of excuses, so that I don't have to make a change. Usually, the only obstacle to me, is...me. Can we quit just trying to survive and start trying to live?
-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment