Monday, December 12, 2011

If the world was a village of 100 people...

Lately I have been unbelievably wrapped up in myself. I can't even explain to you how selfish I've felt lately. My focus has been on me, on my weight, on my progress. Me, me, me. If you read my journal, you would notice that every paragraph starts with "I". Here is a little reminder of the reality of the world bigger than you and me:

If we could reduce the world's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all existing human ratios remaining the same, the demographics would look something like this:
The village would have 61 Asians, 13 Africans, 12 Europeans, 9 Latin Americans, and 5 from the USA and Canada.

50 would be male, 50 would be female
75 would be non-white; 25 white
67 would be non-Christian; 33 would be Christian
80 would live in substandard housing
16 would be unable to read or write
50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation
33 would be without access to a safe water supply
39 would lack access to improved sanitation
24 would not have any electricity (And of the 76 that do
have electricity, most would only use it for light at night.)
8 people would have access to the Internet
1 would have a college education
1 would have HIV
2 would be near birth; 1 near death
5 would control 32% of the entire world's wealth; all 5 would be US citizens
48 would live on less than US$ 2 a day
20 would live on less than US$ 1 a day

Remember your value today. And remember that your value will never change based on what is in your pocket, the color of your skin, your weight, or your social networks.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment