Friday, March 30, 2012

Fat Girl in a Thin Girl's Body

I have had some unbelievable conversations with people this week. My head is all over the place. But the common thread of all of these God-focused, wondering questions is this:

Will I think like a fat girl even when I approach my goal weight?

I know. Saying that is socially unacceptable. It's not politically correct. I'm not meaning to be disrespectful, and I kind of think I can use this terminology because I have carried the fat girl flag my whole life. But just roll with me here.

In my life, as a fat girl, I have fought these perceptions and thoughts. I have thought this about myself, and I have heard people say this to me
  • I got this way because I don't care about myself.
  • I have to be funny to be liked.
  • No one can understand how I feel, so I shouldn't bother.
  • My problem is worse than anyone else's problem.
  • I am lazy.
  • I can't change.
  • I will never be loved.
  • I will always be alone.
  • I'm gross.
Yikes. That's a hard list to admit to. But here's the thing: when (not if), when I lose 100 pounds, I can still have ALL of these same  problems. I can still believe I will never be loved, I can still put myself in this self-imposed loneliness where no one can come in. I can be a fat girl in a thin girl's body.

See, we can fix the outside all we want. We can quit that, we can start this, we can lose weight, we can buy that, we can learn whatever. But the inside, the heart...is still the same. Someone that I love and respect, who I consider to be naturally-thin, said to me this week "It really hurts me that you won't let me into this with you. I know that you feel like I could never understand, but that's just not fair." And she was SO RIGHT.

I am not at my goal yet. That doesn't really matter. I am not a "thin girl" yet. And even that doesn't matter. Let me tell you how I feel now:
  • I care too much about myself to stay this way. So does Jesus.
  • I don't have to be funny to be liked. I am dearly loved by Jesus. (being the funniest person I know is just a side effect of my bad-assness)
  • People want to know me. More importantly, Jesus knows my every struggle and darkest places of my heart and loves me more than ever.
  • My problem is a challenge, and an opportunity to see Jesus in the midst of pain.
  • I am not lazy. I am choosing victory, one day at a time so I don't get overwhelmed.
  • I can change. And I have. And I will continue to.
  • I am already loved. I was loved before I was even born by the Creator, by my Dad.
  • I am never alone. And I will never be alone.
  • I'm gross. (only when I burp, and that's just some people's opinions)
You see the depths of my heart and you love me the same. You are amazing, God.

-Liz

8 comments:

  1. I love this post! I really agree with you...no matter what we look like on the outside, if we aren't finding our identity and security in Christ, we won't be content. This post actually reminded me so much of a conversation I had with a friend this week about singleness and married life and we decided that in general, you will be only as happy married as you are single. Just like having a life partner won't provide instant happiness, losing weight won't either. Christ loves completely and fully right now and if we live in that love, we can live in joy, single or thin or chubby or married or in any other situation we find ourselves in. When we are defined by His love for us, we stop defining ourselves by these other labels. That said, we are not called to complacency and God is making us new all the time on the inside and outside. I am so encouraged by you deciding to change and I'm excited to be changing (maybe slowly), too. K, sorry I wrote a book...this just struck a chord. Love ya, Liz!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're rockin' my bulb lizzie. love bearie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, you have an amazing way of expressing yourself. You are so REAL in what you write. You have great courage to share this with others. I KNOW exactly what you are talking about. No matter what my size , it is always my demeaning thinking that drags me down. How can anyone actually love me when I don't even like myself? I am always surprised when someone wants to be my friend. Like why would you like me? And yet you say there is a God that loves me? How can I really believe this is true? How do YOU know it's true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey anonymous...shoot me an email if you want to go deeper on this. lsimpers@gmail.com

      And here is how I know...God created me for this capacity to love and be loved that I haven't found anywhere else on this earth. The short answer is that, my whole life, as I have gotten to know God better, He has completely changed me from the inside out. It was never about what I can DO or the THINGS I show on the outside, but accepting this love from God.

      Like I said, email me...praying for what you are going through RIGHT NOW! Those thoughts in your head are NOT the truth. At all.

      Delete
  4. I am so grateful for your posts Liz. They are timely for me and are incredible reminders that I will be and am victorious in Christ. We all have battles. And today - the day between yesterday's cross and tomorrow's tomb- I'm chosing gratitude. heather b

    ReplyDelete