Saturday, March 17, 2012

Thanks for the memories, Facebook

A funny thing happened to me on Facebook this week.

My favorite place on earth is Lake Champion, a Young Life camp in Glen Spey, New York. I met Jesus there in high school, have worked there for several summers, and have seen some of the best high schoolers I know learn about Jesus there. I have unbelievable memories of that place starting in 1993 (yes, I am that old, and am now realizing that some of you weren't even born yet).


So, Lake Champion has been posting old pictures from camping on their Facebook page. One of my friends tagged me in this gem right here. It's from 1993, I was 17, and there for five weeks volunteering one summer. The same day I was tagged in the photo, one of my friends from work posted this: 


"Wow! Look at you there! You look amazing in just a couple of short months....keep up the good work!"


I can only assume...she thought this was a picture of me that was taken a few months ago, pre-weight loss journey. Two GREAT things about this mistake: 1. I am thinner now than I was in high school and 2. I am aging REALLY well. I mean, REALLY well.


It did put me in a wonderful place of reflection. This morning I took a few hours to hike in Umstead Park, to listen to God, and to reflect on where I have come from. It's amazing. I found this picture, taken a few years ago, and I barely know that girl anymore.


We have to remember to reflect in the midst of these adventures we are on. Otherwise, we'll forget what God has done. Have you ever been sick, and you think "If only I felt better...God, this is the worst." But then you get better, and you forget how great it is to feel good? We do that to God, too. We forget His blessings, we forget His mercy, we forget His love.


Take a day to just be with God. Remove yourself from the busyness of life and reflect. You'll remember where you've come from, and you'll be reinvigorated to move ahead!


-Liz




Doing some professional reflecting in Jamaica last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment