Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When friends just don't understand

Just got back from our weeklong missions trip to Jamaica, that's why I have been silent. But trust me, my mind has been racing with thoughts of God, life, process, weight, forgiveness, friendship, accountability, expectations, perfection, and reality.

Are you as exhausted as I am reading that list?

Today, I weighed in with my trainer and, to date, I have lost 61 pounds! DANG! I am so excited, especially since I ate everything in sight while we were in Jamaica. But it certainly got me thinking about food and my social life. I thought I would share some well-intentioned words I've had from friends recently:

  1. Have this brownie, you have been working so hard! You deserve it!
  2. Don't let this weight thing affect your social life.
  3. I think you're taking yourself too seriously.
  4. You're going to be so pretty!
  5. Hey trust me, I'm trying to lose a few pounds myself, but I don't let it affect my time with friends.
  6. Just substitute chips with some delicious carrots! They have the same crunch and satisfy your desire to snack! (this one is my favorite...)
Let me repeat, these are words from my well-intentioned friends. Friends that love me and want to encourage me. They are not trying to beat me up, tear me down, stop my progress, or hurt my feelings.

It is, however, a reminder, that my naturally thin friends just don't understand. And I cannot fault them for that. How could a sober person understand an addict? How can I make them see that food can be an addiction just like anything else? So...I smile, and thank them, and go on my merry way, but inside, it does feel lonely. It feels unfair, it feels isolating.

But today I am living in this 61 pound victory. Today I am celebrating being able to fly on an airplane with the armrest down and the seatbelt having extra room. That is a victory that some of you can relate to, but some cannot. To be comfortable in a world that has always felt too small for me is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. I can't wait to see what's next.

-Liz

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed, Liz! You're already a strong woman of character, and clearly you aren't afraid of discipline. LOVE a woman who accepts a challenge and rejects defeat. It's all about attitude.
    Proud.
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS JAN!!!! I appreciate your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog today on pinterest and wow this really hits home for me! I am on my journey to lose 100lbs (albeit slowly)and you are very inspiring! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, SO AM I! We can do this, and we WILL! Let's keep connected!

    ReplyDelete