Thursday, January 24, 2013

I got this. I don't got this.

I confess. I am probably the most prideful person on the planet. Even though I know this and have known this for most of my life, for some reason it still surprises me that my pride continues to bamboozle me on a regular basis.

For instance, the big question as of late: Can I have a cheat day?

I don't know the answer. Some days I think absolutely not! I don't want to offset the workout I just did! Other days I think, there is no WAY that I can maintain this level of discipline with my eating for the rest of my life without a break. So bring on the wings!

Is there an in between? For me, there hasn't been. A cheat meal for me has turned in to the after meal dessert, then it's the weekend and why not make it last a little longer. Before you know it, I've had pizza and donuts and tastykakes and on and on and on. (By the way, that really happened.)

So without knowing the answer to the cheat meal question, I have to remind myself over and over again that I do NOT have this all figured out. And usually, the best thing to do when that happens in my mind is to let other people in to the discussion.

If you are trying to lose weight, or be better with your money, or stay away from that bad relationship in your life, I can confidently tell you that YOU DON'T GOT THIS. Not by yourself, anyway. Who is in your life that can walk through this crap with you? Whoever that person is, don't let them get away!

Pride keeps us from making big changes in our lives. Pride also isolates us and makes us believe that we can do it alone. Honestly, if we could make big changes alone, don't you think we would be over this by now?

And one more cool story for the day. Lately, I have been LOVING the spin bike. It's always been this piece of equipment at the Y that has scared me. I guess because I only ever saw super fit people on it and it was just this intimidating thing. If you can't see it in the photo, it says "Maximum user weight 300 lbs." It feels awesome to be under that maximum user weight.

Do you have any idea how many ways we are limited when we're overweight? This is quite a victory, indeed.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment