Thursday, September 25, 2014

"Don't let what you want now get in the way of what you want most."

Yesterday I was listening to a Steven Furtick sermon while on the bike and I heard him say "Don't let what you want now get in the way of what you want most." You can find it here under Part 2.

This idea has been spinning in my brain since. Not just in terms of health and wellness, but in terms of friendship. Loneliness. Success. Finance. Love. Anger. Pride. And every emotion that can pass in and out of us at the drop of a hat.

Have you ever acted out of anger and then been immediately embarrassed about it? Have you ever not gotten what you thought you deserved and internalized it way too much, letting it cut you too deep? Have you ever been rejected by a friend and let that mess with your identity and confidence?

The answer is yes. Way too many times.

Too often I am driven by what I want now instead of what I want most. What I want now tends to prevent me from what I want most. I am often bamboozled by my past. Mistakes I have made. Regrets. Fear. It has become a daily battle for me to not believe that my past mistakes can affect my future.

If I give into what I want now, I let loneliness make my decisions. And those are never good decisions. If I give into what I want most, I am learning love, acceptance, patience, discipline, and that I deserve a lot more than I think I do.

We all deserve more than these impulse, reactionary decisions. Don't let what you want now get in the way of what you want most.


No comments:

Post a Comment