Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The horribly wonderful, terribly terrific world of food.




This morning I had my youth director team over for a breakfast meeting at my house. Typically, this is an occasion that would be fun to plan, enjoy, and be excited about. If it was a meeting at my house, without the food, then yes - that would be the case.

But enter the horribly wonderful, terribly terrific world of food.

Breakfast is my favorite meal. No other meal can say that it is enjoyed at all times of the day. Breakfast for dinner? Yes please! Breakfast for lunch? Great! Midnight at Waffle House? Of course! So planning a breakfast filled with pancakes, egg casserole, and monkey bread (sweet, sweet monkey bread) is a dream come true.

Or a nightmare for those of us with food issues.

So I have had this internal battle for days now. Days. Should I eat what everyone else eats? What if I just have a little bit? One bite won't hurt! Just enjoy the meal! Eat whatever you want, it's not a big deal, get it out of your system!

I don't know how this happened, but pancakes, egg casserole, and an overflowing pan of monkey bread was made at my house, and I ate fruit, drank coffee, and enjoyed one Liz-shaped pancake courtesy of Anthony.

I didn't eat the monkey bread. And then I did 20 miles on the spin bike.

All this to say, God cares a lot about the things that hurt me and limit me. And God cares a lot about me overcoming those things. For me, it's food. For you, it might be something else. But none of our hang-ups are inconsequential to God. Because nothing about us is inconsequential to God. Maybe when we all see how valuable we are, we will start to see how big God is.

And in the meantime, I'll be navigating the wonderful world of food and all the delicious pitfalls in between. But today, today was a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment