Sunday, October 19, 2014

Don't censor your heart.

I do believe there are obvious times in life when you have a conversation with someone and you immediately realize that it's important. And, if we could all get on the same page with an idea, revolutionary.

I just got home from a quick trip to visit my family in Pennsylvania and had a conversation with a friend of mine about relationships. And it got deep really fast once we came to the conclusion that every single person on this earth has to make a choice about whether or not we are going to censor our hearts.

You know when you get to that point in any friendship or relationship where it gets risky? Where you realize you have let a person in past the point of comfort and arms length and safety? Where they know your inner workings so much that it's either going to be the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever?

That's the point where 99% of us censor our hearts. Some of us do it seasonally, some of us do it always. But all of us do it sometimes.

I certainly don't think we should become an open wound and a bleeding heart to every person that we meet. But I do think that we spend our whole lives looking for that person that will love us the way we love them, and care for us the way we care for them. The problem, however, is that while we are looking for those few people, we get a lot of bruises and broken bones in the process.

Break-ups happen in friendships as much as they do in relationships. And they can be just as painful. But what my friend and I talked about is, we all have the choice, when that happens, to either censor our hearts and live in a bubble, or get back out there again and risk injury at the chance of finding the people that will care for us as much as we care for them.

It was an important conversation for me because it reminded me of two things: that I am not alone, and that I am not crazy. And it also reminded me to not censor my heart. To not fall into that trap of being a people pleaser and be someone I'm not to win the approval of anyone.

Oh and just a reminder: you are really great. Especially the uncensored version of you.

(bonus cool points if you can name the 90's singer that sings about the subject of this blog in her epic debut album.)

-Liz

Also: listen to this song. It might be the soundtrack of your life, too.



Working the burn pile at my parents' house.

Burning s**t down.

Hopes and dreams in paper lanterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment