Sunday, October 30, 2011

A hundred gifts for a hundred families.

 I guess that if I convey my passion for this project enough, people will contribute. In less than two months, I am returning to Jamaica, to stay with the people that changed my life forever. And if that doesn't blow my mind enough, we've been asked to go back in March to deliver one hundred bins of clothes and bibles to one hundred families.

These are not Jamaican families that live near the coast with jobs, running water, and electricity. They live in a room with four walls that they are proud to call home. Kids everywhere, family lines blurred, and communities supporting each other. They hold on to each other because they don't have things to hold on to.

Pause. What if I lived like that? What if I held on to people more than I hold on to my...possessions? What if my deep friendships outnumbered my things? My dishes? My books? My t-shirts?



Here is our opportunity to make this project happen. One hundred families need to be provided for. You click here, and you have options:

  1. You live near one of the listed pick-up locations, and you adopt a family to shop for.
  2. You donate $50 to cover shipping for a family's bin.
  3. You donate $100 to cover shipping AND shopping for a family's bin.
I have this desire in my heart to be a part of something bigger than myself. So, I know that you do, too. This is a chance to make a sacrifice. Let's skip the restaurants this week and give a family clothes. Let's tell our neighbors and our churches and our friends and our schools and our work. The one thing we CAN'T do...is nothing. 

"For whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me." -Matthew 25:40
-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment