Friday, October 7, 2011

Where does all my money go?

So, I am going to Jamaica in December for the third time. Not to Sandals Resorts (sorry, Michael Scott). But to Whitehouse, where there is poverty and no running water and dirt and shacks and sickness. But I can't wait to go back.

And I am helping out with this project where we "adopt" a family in the community and buy them much needed clothes for Christmas. It costs $50 to ship a container for a family, and then it costs another $50 to shop for the items that that family needs. We're talking basic items. Shoes. A shirt. A bible. It has got me thinking about what I spend $50 on. Here's a nice, perhaps embarrassing, list:
  • 50% of my monthly cable bill
  • 20% of my monthly car payment
  • 5% of my monthly mortgage payment
  • a pair of TOMS
  • an Izod polo (if you're luck)
  • 10 lattes at Starbucks
  • dinner for two
  • the Sims Late Night expansion pack
  • 75% of my gas tank
  • 5 complete albums on iTunes
  • 3 packs of coffee for my Keurig
I don't think I want to continue. What I do want to say is, we ALL belong to each other. In India, America, Jamaica, and every other corner of the world. I don't want for anything. And I have the resources to give to a family that has NOTHING. So do you. So change the world from your chair. With $50 and a credit card. Check this out: http://www.jaminjamaica.com/container2011.php and then watch for the pictures I'm going to post of me, giving the gifts that YOU bought, to the families you adopt.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment