Friday, October 28, 2011

You've been watching too many extreme weight loss shows.

Six weeks ago I started getting really serious about losing weight. And for six weeks, I've struggled. See, I want quick fixes. I want immediate results. I want to be finished, so I can go back to El Dorado and eat three baskets of chips with the Mexican flag (sour cream, salsa, and guacamole, if you were wondering).

Why is it surprising that I want immediate gratification without the work and the waiting? I live in America. I live in a town where I can literally dream up of something delicious I want to eat or drink, and I can drive within ten minutes of any option imaginable. I can have a hot meal in 60 seconds. I can get on my computer and have a pizza delivered to my house. I can even pay a delivery guy to go to McDonald's for me so I can be a shut-in and never have to leave the comfort of my own home.

Comfort.

I was watching this show called "I Used To Be Fat" where high school kids lose 50 pounds in 2 months. And the show is only an hour long, so that seems easy and doable. And then I can flip over to the Biggest Loser where a guy can lose 17 pounds in a week. After that, I might catch Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss edition where a lady loses 150 pounds in a year. But again, it only took me 60 minutes to watch that happen, so, that seems easy.

Here's what I am figuring out about myself: I am impatient. I want it now. There is growth in the process. There is growth in the process!

So if God tells me to wait, I'll wait. And in the waiting, I will be obedient. I am actively waiting for God to work in me, and He really is. I am learning what Go|Change|Move is really about. It's about being uncomfortable enough to change. And isn't that what God is about?

God loves me so much, that He meets me where I'm at. He also loves me enough to not leave me that way.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment