Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cheers to the Unknown

Before I even graduated from college, I had a plan of what I wanted my post-college life to look like. I was dead-set on moving to Jamaica to do missionary work for a while. My family and friends from home know that I am a person who loves to be on the move, going from one thing to the next (I promise I really do miss you all). I guess you could say that I have a hard time sitting still. I avoided any plan of getting a “real world” job right after college, and it was no mistake that I never stepped foot in a career fair at Penn State.

While I was so sure that Jamaica was going to work out like I planned, I find myself now living in NC for an indefinite amount of time. This not only takes away from my control to plan out my life and my future, but it also forces me to wait on the Lord’s plans to happen in His timing. I have learned to accept and appreciate two important things from this:

1. “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” - John Lennon

If I truly believe that Jesus is my Savior and my reason for living, I need to start not only letting Him into my life, but letting Him lead it. While we believe we know what’s best for us, there is a God who has already planned out our lives and knows where and how to specifically utilize our gifts and our passions. He knows where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there. While we spend so much time planning out our own lives in such crazy detail, we are missing all the blessings He is placing in front of us on this very day.

2. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” - Neale Donald Walsch

Pastor JD from The Summit once said that how we respond to our disappointments reveals whether or not our plans were God-focused or from selfish ambition. Through that kind of lens, I see now that I’ve been completely leaving God out of my decision-making process and relying on my own desires and strength. For those who are struggling with plans that are failing or falling behind society’s twisted timeline of when things are supposed to happen, I say embrace this season of confusion and the unknown. The reality is that God’s timeline and our personal timelines will never match up how we’d like them to, but they will always turn out to be way more beautiful than we could ever imagine for ourselves when we trust God with our futures.

When the door closed to intern in Jamaica, I was devastated. God kept making it clear to me that it wasn’t supposed to happen, but I refused to listen and kept pursuing the idea of it. My friend explained to me that when you try to open a door that is supposed to stay closed, you could really get hurt trying to pry it back open. I guess you could say she is pretty wise, and that she was right.

So here I am, getting ready for my big girl job in Durham, NC. It wasn’t my plan, but I know that God orchestrated this for a reason. I have no idea what’s next for me, but I know that there is beauty to be found. Today is your chance to find yours!

-Dee

2 comments:

  1. Everything that happens in our lives, it happens for a reason.

    Maybe the reason for this changing in your plans is not clear to you yet, but I'm sure it will perfectly fix in the plan He has got for you.

    All will become clear, and while you wait for this to happen, please enjoy this opportunity as much as you can, with your beautiful smile and faith.

    Try to really live it: learn from it, grow with it, and be sure that Jamaica is waiting for you, and that you will have your opportunity to go there, since you really want and deserve it.

    Maybe this is not the right time for you to go.

    Maybe the right time will arrive just when "you will be busy making other plans".

    I'm sure, everything will become clear.


    -Stefy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I took a break from packing! I really needed to read this! I leave thursday for my first "out of the house" college experience, yeah I'm 21 but oh well! I guess you can't ever be too old for school! I am going to Johnson (Bible college) University and I am getting nervous but you are right God is in control!

    ReplyDelete