Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Baby's first steps

Up at 5am. Hobbled into the shower on my dead leg for what I hoped would be the last time. Made a green smoothie for later. My friends Hannah and Austin came early to pick me up. Drove to Capital City Surgical Center and waited.

While we were outside waiting for the place to open up, we got to see a helicopter land at Wake Med. A fun distraction that took me outside of my anxious brain. A hug from God.

To get ready for surgery, Hannah came back for me while I got prepped. The nurse's name was Martha. It was 6:30 am and Hannah and I made that lady LAUGH. She talked about her gynecologist named Cinnamon. Yes, it was that kind of conversation. A fun distraction that took me outside of my anxious brain. A hug from God.

Surgery happened. I guess. I wouldn't know, they could have taken me up in that helicopter for a ride and I wouldn't have remembered. I woke up and in about an hour, was lucid enough to realize that I am lying on my back without pain.

How is this possible?

Pain really is relative. Everyone had a different tolerance and it is impossible to feel what someone else feels. I experienced that loneliness for the past 4-6 months, and to lay in that hospital bed without pain in my back and leg was bizarre. All of a sudden, those 6 months of loneliness had the potential to
be over.

A hug from God.

So now I am home. And we have already walked across the street in the neighboring church parking lot. You might have missed an important verb in that last sentence. I walked. And I can stand. And I have hope.

I have also really, REALLY learned that I am a terrible patient. I HATE asking for help. It was so hard for me accept the fact that I have friends that want to help me. I am surrounded by people that love me so much, and I had no idea how much. I've gotten texts, calls, books, gifts, food, prayer, and company.

Hugs from God.

I am so thankful. And in the meantime, enjoy these ridiculous
photos and videos of my big day.













3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome that God looks out for us, down to the smallest of details! Also that video is epic!

    ReplyDelete