Monday, December 30, 2013

Unicorns and Rainbows

I have 10,000 things I need to share about, write about, confess, review, etc. as 2013 is ending. Thoughts about weight, heartbreak, loss, victory, starting over, friendship, disappointment, trust, and the like.

2013 was the year of extremes for me. The highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. I am glad to see it end. Sorry to all you optimists out there, but I'm just being real. I realize that "Happiness is a choice!" but sometimes it's impossible to see that choice as an option. I battled loneliness harder in this past year than I ever have before.

So more to come on those topics. Can't wait to get back to this little community here. My honesty seems to stirring something up in people, and I love it. But first thing's first.

My grandmother, Betty Goddard, passed away in August of this year. She was in her 90s, was in hospice, and it wasn't a surprise. She was my last living grandparent, stood no more than 5 feet tall, and was the sassiest relative of them all. She wasn't a very touchy feely, lovey dovey lady, but I knew that she loved me. I just didn't know how sentimental that love actually was.

Over Christmas, my mom gave my brother and I presents that were simply labeled "Memories..." They were bundles of letters that my grandmother had kept from when we were kids and writing actual letters to people was what we did to communicate. (imagine a world without Twitter, Facebook, email, text...yes, that utopia once existed and we took it for granted)

I have never laughed and cried so much at the same time in my life. She kept these...for over twenty years? These silly letters meant so much to her? So I posted some teaser photos of these letters, and there was a request for more. So I picked two of the letters and will type out what I wrote. Out of all the vulnerable and raw things I have posted on this blog, this might be the winner...





Here we go. God help us.

January 4th, 1985 (I was 8) (this is the unicorn letter)

Dear Grandma and Papa,

I'm really having a great time with that neat walkman you gave me. It's really fun going over to my friend's house and listening to our walkmans. It's also handy to listen to it whenever I feel like it. And now I don't have to borrow my mom's or my brother's walkman's!

I'm writing on the lovely unicorn paper that you two gave me. The lovely unicorn and the rainbow on the front of the pad and on the paper.

I'm writing with the "Scripto" pen you gave me to write with. It's really handy to write with because it's erasable. (which you should know!)

I am going to love writing you letters with my beautiful paper, pen, and envelopes. I'll be writing to other faraway friends and family. If you know what I mean! (side note...WHAT DID I MEAN?!)

I sure hope you had a outstanding Christmas and a happy New Year. If you forgot, the new year is 1985. I sure had a great Christmas. I got everything I wanted. Here's the list:

  • Barbie Silver 'Vette
  • Robot Watch
  • Cat Sweatshirt
  • Walkman
  • Unicorn Pad and Envelope
  • Barbie Back Yard Pool Set
  • Barbie Gym Set
  • Barbie A.T.C.
  • Sequent Socks
  • Jacket
  • Two pairs gloves
  • Stool
  • Glass people
There are other things, but I can't remember them all. Well, I've got to be going now. Say hi to everyone for me ok? Thanks. Bye Now.

Sincerely Yours,
Elizabeth Simpers
xxxxxxxxoooooooo
xxxxxxxxoooooooo

P.S. Give everyone my loads of love.

Ok, there are a few more, but I will spare you. Wait, maybe just one more. Because it demonstrates how weird I have ALWAYS been.



July 25, 1988 (I was 12)

Dear Grandma and Papa,

I just felt like sayin' "HI!" So, Hi! Well, I have a new kitty, but she ran away. BUT, we found her again!! Her name's Abby. Right now, my Dad's eatin'. Oh, sorry. EA-TING! My dad wants me to say how wonderful I think he is, but I won't.

Grandma, tell Papa about the surprise party. My mom is losing her mind. Yesterday, she thought aliens landed in her bedroom. Also yesterday, she said that she was contacted by Elvis. I was only kidding about Elvis. But she really said that aliens landed in her bedroom. Tommy fell through a barn floor two days ago. He tore some ligaments in his leg. Doctors say they'll have to amputate it. (only kidding about amputation.) My dad wants to cut my foot off because there's a bracelet on it. Most of these comments are false.

My dad was a dog this morning. He was stuck in a closet with Vanna White. That's a joke, also. Have u got enough of these jokes yet? Well, tough cookies!! My brother got his head shaved off by Perry. We call him skinhead, now. We got him a Harely Davidson motorcycle to match his head. He also got a "peace" sign tattooed on his forehead. 

Well, I think you've had enough of these hilarious jokes. So, I better be going now before my mom, dad, and Tommy kill me. Love your granddaughter,
Liz
XXOO
P.S. WRITE ME, PLEASE.

Enjoy these other letters and most embarrassing moments. I know you will appreciate my genius even more after you read them. Extra points if you can find the one that 8 year old Liz explains to my grandma what "leverage" is.

-Liz












2 comments:

  1. The Unicorn letter brought tears to my eyes because it was so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete