Thursday, December 12, 2013

When did "work" become a dirty word?

Don't worry, I was just walking. The blur is deceiving.
A friend just sent me an email asking what the heck was going on with me because I haven't posted a blog since my surgery last week. Was I better? Did it work? Am I healed?

Yes. Yes. HELL yes. So far.

Surgery was Tuesday of last week, and yesterday, I was back at work and walked two miles on the treadmill. Progress. Considering two weeks ago, I couldn't stand up without pain, without leaning on something, without taking prescription pain medicine.

I feel great. My recovery was short, but not that sweet. I just get so bored when I can't work, can't have a routine, and the biggest question of the day is if I'm going to watch Scandal or read a book. It was really depressing for a few days there, not being able to do much. And God, in his glory, knows what I can handle. I am not someone that could handle 6 weeks of couch time. Not at all. I could barely handle a week!

Coming back to work was amazing. Coming back to a life of purpose was fantastic. It reminded me that work is GOOD. It is a good thing and it is a necessary thing. We are created to fulfill purpose in so many ways, and work is one of them. There is a rhythm to life and I was really out of whack for a LONG time before surgery. Not able to do anything or go anywhere really because I had no relief from pain.

The things I have learned from this process are yet to be determined because there are just so many. To read back through my journal where I ask God to heal my body day after day, week after week, and in His timing, he did just that. I can't believe I am pain free. This is the first time in years that I can say that.

So I am back to work, and after my next doctor's appointment, I hope to be cleared to work out. When did "work" become a dirty word? I hope I never again take for granted that I have a healthy mind and a healthy body. Both of these things are created for the purpose of good work.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Colossians 3:23-24

I can be scrubbing toilets or sitting in a cubical or driving a bus or running an Ace Hardware (shout out to Mr. Ace himself Tyler Bottke) - wherever I am, whatever I do, I have the choice to work for the Lord. And I am so thankful to have a chance to start over, every day.

Back to work.

-Liz

2 comments: