Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Facebook will lie to you.

I had dinner with a friend tonight, a friend that I have known since she was a middle schooler. I love when you walk into a situation and you have no idea the depths of what you are about to experience. Our conversation, while I thought would just be us catching up on each other's lives, became about something far more important.

This particular friend of mine, we'll call her Sally, is in between jobs, school, life change, all of it. I asked Sally what she wants to do with her life. Sally said, in no uncertain terms "I am too screwed up to really know what I want."

I asked Sally what she meant and she began to tell me how she is more screwed up than anyone else she knows. That she has body image issues, is emotionally unstable, and the list went on and on.

You see, Sally is feeling how a lot of us feel. We have a rough day. We come home to an empty room because we are too tired to be social. We hop on social media and we look at photos and instagrams and tweets about how great someone looks, how much fun they are having, how clever they can be, how much...better they are than we are.

Sally is believing the lie that we all believe. That Facebook sells to us.

This is the lie: everyone else is doing great. You're the only one that is this messed up.

See, this lie cripples most of us. I have believed it for years. In my loneliness, recently, I have reached out to some friends with open hands and got nothing in return. I thought that the depths of my pain would be received by people that knew me the best. But the truth was, some of us are so afraid to open our fists to grab on to each other because we aren't willing to be rejected. And that fear of being who we really are isolates us and before we know it, we are alone. In a room. Believing the Facebook lie.

Here's the truth: I'm not doing that great. But tonight I got to connect with an old friend and tell her that, and that took away the power that isolation had on her, even for a moment. Can we be strong enough to admit that we are weak? Can we be brave enough to say that we're scared?

Some people will receive from you and some won't. I have been surprised both negatively and positively by that this week. But the friends that haven't grabbed my open hands can't be my focus. I have to fight for those that are willing to fight with me.

Don't let Facebook lie to you anymore. Let someone in so you can hear the truth: you are not the only one that's messed up. Welcome to our messy neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment