Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sometimes the devil sounds a lot like Jesus

"Sometimes the devil sounds a lot like Jesus, telling me I'm not enough.
But I don't believe it, but I can feel it, and I need you so. Yes I need you so."
(Ben Rector, "If You Can Hear Me")

My friend Tyler and I have been knee deep in Ben Rector songs lately. His words just seem so fitting in so many ways, and he's a Christian guy who writes Christian songs that aren't...cheesy.

This particular song has been on repeat for me lately. Have you noticed that we like to beat ourselves up so much sometimes, that we even believe God is that voice inside our heads telling us that we aren't enough?

For example: guilt we feel for drinking last night. Shame we feel for going to far with that guy. Worry we feel about that job interview. That thing we did. That mistake we made. That position we don't deserve.

And I think we reason it away with weird sayings like "God is trying to teach me a lesson" or "I guess  this is payback for my years of turning away from God" because it is easier to believe we don't deserve love than to believe anyone, let alone God Himself, could love us unconditionally.

Have you thought about unconditional love lately? We don't understand that. At all. I don't love anyone unconditionally. When someone hurts me, I protect myself from that happening again. Why would I love that person again unconditionally when there is no guarantee that I won't get hurt again? But I am probably the only one that feels this way, right?

The problem is we don't believe what God says about us. And this infects our every day. Our habits, our relationships, our bank accounts, our mirrors, our clothes, our jobs, our choices. Imagine how different you would live, just for today, believing that you are good enough.

I was going to give an update on the shiny new scale I've been using, but this came out instead. So that will happen another day soon. For right now, I think this is enough. Just like you.


No comments:

Post a Comment