Monday, January 9, 2012

Dear Diary

On September 21st of last year, I wrote in my journal (which I affectionately term Dear Diary) a list of things that my weight has limited me from in my life. Some things are obvious. Some things, to the world of regular sized people, are not so obvious.

For instance, did you know that the seats at the RBC Center (Raleigh's big stadium) are super skinny and I didn't used to be able to fit in them at all? Or that there are some fast food restaurant booths that don't really fit someone of my old size? (I know...another great reason to not be in a Taco Bell in the first place. Duh.)

And other fun things that the skinny world can enjoy that I had to worry about - horseback riding, airplane seats, kayaking, skydiving, shopping at the mall, on and on and on - these are things I have always tried to avoid. If I avoided them, I could avoid the fact that I was too...heavy.

So back in September I realized...I need to take the power out of those things. That list of things won't elude me aanymore, and I will accomplish my goals. If I listed them out, I could, along the way, cross off the things I did, or saw a difference in, as I lost weight.

Here's the list. Some of them are funny, I know. I am highlighting the things, along the way, that I have been able to do as I am losing weight. It has really helped me to give myself a new rewards system. Instead of food being my reward at the end of a long day, I can now look forward to a pedicure, or a massage, or buying smaller pants! That's my tip for today, I guess...if you have used food as your primary reward, replace it. The sooner that happens, the sooner you break that cycle of rewarding yourself with the thing that got you in this mess in the first place.

I am pretty close to reaching a BIG milestone for me...losing 50 pounds. Stay tuned.

- Liz

5 comments:

  1. HOLY MOLY! Almost 50 pounds?!!! That is really amazingly, awesome. I hope you take a minute to reflect on what an accomplishment that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i honestly just got all teary eyed. elizabeth your awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 50 pounds is 10 more than my 3 1/2 year old, and almost equal to my 6 year old. A whole person. Go find yourself a 5 year old- pick them up - and that's probably how much more you were carrying around every day. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, awesome, awesome, Liz! I've been struggling with motivation lately, so this blog has really helped me. One of the benefits that I've found from losing the equivalent of a small person myself: getting good clothes on the Goodwill cheap. I found a pair of BRAND NEW, TAGS STILL ON THEM Lucky jeans at the local Goodwill. At my old size, I wouldn't have even been able to get my big toe in the legs of the jeans. Now, I'm fashionable (there's a first time for everything in life).

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN Krystal! I can't wait until I can shop at Goodwill! (#16 on my list)

    Let's keep at it!

    ReplyDelete