Monday, October 1, 2012

Growing Pains

"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers,  to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." - Ephesians 4

I've been off the radar for a few weeks. I had a few life changes happen. New job, trip to see a friend during her dad's funeral, family drama, (insert your excuse for letting things slide here.)

I've been working out, but I have also been eating kind of whatever I want. Nothing crazy. Just Mexican food here, pizza there, meals that I really should stay away from. I lost sight of the goal. I have gotten comfortable with my 82 pound weight loss. And to be honest, I lost my mojo. I lost the fire.

I got tossed back and forth by the waves. Not even big tidal waves. Little waves that most people can't even surf off of. Stupid little ripples. A dinner party here...a sore back there...a long day deserving of ice cream, whatever it was...it wasn't worth it.

What are the waves that are tossing you around? Why are you letting them? Why are WE letting them? I guess my real question is...when will I grow up?

Can we all make a decision to stop letting our circumstances rule our emotions? Or, as Reverend Run once said: "Don't let your happenings determine your happiness." I want peace. Don't you? And I don't think that peace should come ONLY WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE LINES UP AS IT SHOULD. Just like I don't think God deserves only my leftovers: my leftover time, my leftover money, my leftover thoughts.

I'm experiencing growing pains this week. I have a feeling that I'm not the only one.

-Liz

2 comments:

  1. amen!! and you are NOT alone! this is perfect timing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I am at 83 lbs and now that clothes are fitting better and I am feeling good about myself i'm no longer motivated. It's like I have lost the desire to work as hard since i'm currently happy with the results. My original goal was to be at -100lbs by Halloween but since my slack off i've now had to push that back to -100 by the end of the year. I am really trying to get back on track but it's so hard to want to push for more exercising and more dieting when i'm feeling good about myself. I made a committment to myself to do really good in October to try and get back on track so we will see when I weigh in on Sunday how that turned out haha.

    ReplyDelete