Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A new kind of life.

Ok, so about three weeks ago, I really hurt my neck. And after some good meds and good doctors, etc. I am back on the grid. And I am SO EXCITED.

I ran yesterday for the first time in a few weeks and it felt so good, that mid-run, I was clapping and fist pumping while listening to Macklemore (buy the Heist, it's AWESOME). It just felt great to be able to run again.

I can't tell you the last time I said "It just feels great to eat beyond feeling full again."

You know when you are eating GREAT food, and you just can't stop? Think Thanksgiving, but just on like a Wednesday night. You're not celebrating a holiday with friends, you're just watching Cosby Show reruns and trying to eat a whole pizza so there aren't any leftovers.

It never feels good.

I guess what I am learning these days is that, while the scale isn't moving as much as I would like it to be, my heart is moving faster than I can keep up with. For example: we went to this Food Truck Rodeo in Durham (BULL CITY!) last weekend and it was so much fun. SO MUCH FUN. To try different foods and not feel guilty is still sort of a new experience. I ate a lot of crazy foods (think chicken and waffles, shrimp po' boy, barbeque, dumplings, etc.) but I didn't eat a crazy amount of these foods.

Enjoying food without letting it consume me. Imagine that.

So the new phase for me is patience, enjoying friends and family and even FOOD. Food will always, I repeat, ALWAYS be a struggle for me. But it doesn't have to consume my life to the point where I am resigned to Luna Bars and kale shakes (been there, done that). At the other end of the spectrum, I can't allow myself to go back to that place in my head where food equals love, acceptance, socializing, celebration, etc. etc.

Here come the holidays. But the good news is, God has already prepared that time and place for us. All we have to do is trust that He won't let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.

I think that's in the bible.

-Liz

Here we go!


Locopops.

Hushpuppies are better when shared.

Fair hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment